Monday, August 24, 2009

Music as Therapy

As I read the entry for August 24th it occured to me once again I am so thankful I tripped across Simple Abundance and, happy to be doing a reread along with my virtual book club friends. Regarding today's subject, Music as Therapy, much like with poetry, Sarah pushes me incorporating new actions into my routine.

Currently I use country music to wake up and drive to. I put on good old rock and roll when I want to clean the house, dance and get energized. When I am writing, however, the sound of silence has always been my partner. I love cooking and you will often find me in the kitchen, however, the only rhythms you will hear are chopping and sauteing. Okay...time for a change! I am going to hunt through our music collection (mostly assembled by my husband who is very musical) and set both my writing and culinary creations to music. Thanks Sarah!

Indeed, I've read about the benefits of classical music in regard to children but never really thought about the effect it may have on adults. In our entry today, Sarah says that listening to Mozart can increase your clarity. She suggests that Sondheim's A Little Night Music can calm us when we are stressed. Okay, so beyond practicing deep breathing on a stressful day like today when I have encountered numerous technical problems (wish I owned a teenager to help me navigate those issues) I'll tune into some soothing sounds.

Hey dear reader friends...what do you listen to when the printer breaks down, you're facing a deadline, and you feel a migraine coming on?

Looking forward to hearing about your favorite tunes that serve as therapy, sources of joy and stimulate creativity,

Sunny

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I love music (all kinds of music). I find classical & smooth jazz very nice to work by. However, a couple of my favorite pieces to calm me are "Clair de Lune" by Claud Debussy & "Pavane pour une infante defunte" by Ravel.

    I love reading your newsletters and look forward to following your blogs. Now, if we could only eat the food you cook, that would be perfect! Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy...I'll follow up on your music recommendations. You failed to mention your musical family. You sons both have CD's don't they?

    ReplyDelete